Can my brother drive my car without insurance?

February 14, 2017 · Posted in FAQ 
car insurance
newbiedewbie asked:

My insurance company is with Statefarm. I’m the primary driver with full insurance coverage for the car. My brother just received his license but does not have any car insurance YET. Would it be legal for him to drive my car and if so, would my car be covered by the insurance company if he gets into an accident. I am from Canada, Ontario.
Thanks for all the great answers.

Car Insurance Search


7 Responses to “Can my brother drive my car without insurance?”

  1. David W on March 29th, 2009 6:34 pm

    As long as he has your permission, yes, he can legally drive your car and be insured. However, you should tell State Farm ASAP that he may be an occasional driver; failure to do so could void your policy. (This may increase your premium, depending on your ages.) Insurance companies don’t like surprises!

    Note that this applies to US policies, but I’m sure Canada’s standard policy is very similar. Check with your agent to make sure.

  2. Jenna A on March 30th, 2009 8:15 pm

    If you live in the same household, he would not be insured. You would need to add him as a secondary driver on your policy.

    If you do not live in the same household than he would be insured, as long as he has a valid drivers licence and he has your permission to drive your vehicle.
    Note that if he drives and gets into an at fault accident – you will be responsible meaning your insurance will increase even if you were not driving.

  3. ♥~*Momma Bear*~♥ on April 1st, 2009 3:08 am

    If he lives in the same house hold as you, he needs to be listed as an additional driver. If he doesn’t live in your house and only uses it occasionally, it would be covered.

  4. chunky on April 4th, 2009 1:24 am

    im in the uk, here your brother would need to be a named driver on your policy to drive your car.

  5. spydor_97 on April 5th, 2009 9:25 am

    Best bet is to check with your insurance company. My policy states that to be able to drive one of my cars, the person has to be 25 years old or older, even with my permission.

  6. STEPHEN H on April 6th, 2009 5:33 am

    It seems a not easy cracking nut,look aroud here ,you should find something helpful.

  7. Gambit on April 7th, 2009 1:46 pm

    Yes technically he would be insured, however if your brother is a member of your household and he wasn’t declared as an occasional operator to your insurer then State Farm could deny the claim (if he isn’t a member of your household or drive the vehicle regularly then this would not be an issue). So while your brother wouldn’t receive a ticket for driving without insurance you would now be on the hook for all of your damages and possibly all of the other party’s damages/injuries. You basically have two options: phone State Farm and have your brother added as an occasional operator (if he is under 25 this will result in an additional premium, which might be quite substantial) or b) do not let your brother drive the vehicle.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.