Can my health insurance ask for reimbursement from car insurance?

September 24, 2017 · Posted in FAQ 
car insurance
hanky stank asked:

Had a car accident and was in the hospital for close to a week. Health insurance covered everything except copays and deductible. The car insurance is waiting to see if my health insurance is going to ask for reimbursement before they pay out anything.
Seeing that I pay my health insurance premiums for situations like this, can they ask for reimbusement?

Car Insurance Search


6 Responses to “Can my health insurance ask for reimbursement from car insurance?”

  1. K H on November 28th, 2009 11:53 pm

    The car insurance company of the person who caused the accident is responsible for all medical bills as well.

    I am currently settling a case myself. I was injured in an accident caused by someone else and his insurance is going to pay my health insurance back for the medical expenses.

  2. mbrcatz17 on November 29th, 2009 1:06 am

    They can, and they will, and they’re entitled to it. Otherwise, if BOTH policies are paying out, that’s “double dipping”, and your health carrier can ask YOU for reimbursement.

    Even if the other guy was at fault, the health carrier will likely put a lien against any judgement you get against them – so the attorney gets paid first, the health carrier gets paid second, and you get whatever is left over.

  3. bgee2001ca on December 1st, 2009 11:40 pm

    They can, and it is called co-opting, and happens quite often.

  4. Sue on December 2nd, 2009 6:30 pm

    Yes. The auto insurance is responsible until the PIP (personal injury protection) expires. This way, you dont have to pay any copays, deductibles either. Once the pip expires, you health insurance will cover again.
    In most cases, however, you will be expected to be the middle-man…going back and forth between the health ins and car ins to update them.

  5. sarah314 on December 6th, 2009 3:22 am

    Yes, your health insurance company can request reimbursement from the car insurance company. Its called subrogation, and the health insurer is generally entitled to be reimbursed for their expenses before you see a dime.

    That’s just the way it works – the health insurance company pays for illnesses and for accidental injuries *when no other party has any liability.* But if another party (car insurance, workers compensation, a homeowners policy, etc.) has liability for an injury, then the health insurance company is entitled to get their money back.

    If you wish to expedite the process, you need to make your health insurance company aware of the auto insurance information. The faster they resolve the issue between them, the faster you’ll get whatever is left over.

  6. zippythejessi on December 8th, 2009 5:46 am

    Yes, because anything related to an auto accident should be paid by the car insurance – most health insurances won’t even pay a claim related to an MVA (motor vehicle accident). Health insurers can ask for rembursement even after a year.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.