Can you make a seperate car insurance claim after the event?

May 5, 2017 · Posted in FAQ 
car insurance
jay_w_uk asked:

A few months ago, someone ran into the back of our car while it was staionary.

Yesterday, our car, with Handbrake on, rolled off our drive and into a neighbours car, causing £100 ish of damage.

I suspect the earlier bump may have damaged/worn the handbrake pad (car forward ahil stationary). Could we claim the £100 back as part of the first insurance claim?

Car Insurance Search


7 Responses to “Can you make a seperate car insurance claim after the event?”

  1. Ramrod on April 27th, 2009 5:44 am

    I doubt it, your car should have been checked out at the time.

  2. eriverpipe on April 27th, 2009 6:06 pm

    Not if the first claim was settled. If you settled, the amount you received was a full and final settlement for all damage caused to your car, and should have been used to complete all repairs.

  3. UwishUknewMyName on April 28th, 2009 10:36 am

    No. Every spererate incident is a seperate claim.

  4. Dan Jackson on April 30th, 2009 11:44 am

    No, unfortunately not. As someone has already said, it would have to be dealt with as a separate claim as it’s a separate incident.

    If you COULD prove, 100% that thehandbrake was damaged in the first accident AND this caused the second accident, then you may have a case. But this would pretty much be impossible to prove.

  5. Scouse on May 3rd, 2009 11:13 pm

    Asking the insurance company will do no harm but I doubt it after all I would just prefer to pay £100 and keep st um

  6. welcome news on May 6th, 2009 6:47 pm

    There are two points you would have to proove:

    1) That the handbrake was damaged in the previous incident.
    2) That the damage was not too remote ‘non remota sed proximata causa spectatur’ – doctrine of proximate cause.

    I do not see how you could do this. (and this assumes the first claim has not been settled, yet another obstacle)

  7. Agent Scully on May 7th, 2009 1:04 pm

    It would have to be proved that the previous accident caused damage to your handbrake. So you would need to get an independent engineer to look at the car properly. However, your neighbour will be entitled to claim for the damage from your insurance company.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.