Car Insurance and Relocating to Another State Temporarily?

September 18, 2017 · Posted in FAQ 
car insurance
CBo asked:

I am moving from Los Angeles, CA to the east coast, driving cross country. I will be staying with friends in New Jersey temporarily while looking for a permanent residence in Manhattan, which could take up to three months. Do I need to change my car insurance policy/address from CA to NJ? Or can I wait until I have a permanent residence in NYC?

Car Insurance Search


4 Responses to “Car Insurance and Relocating to Another State Temporarily?”

  1. lil rockerfeller on November 20th, 2009 5:04 am

    i dont know

  2. oklatom on November 22nd, 2009 8:20 pm

    Call your agent and tell him what you told us. As long as he has a way to contact you (cell phone perhaps?) you should be okay until you become a resident of New York. Once you are a resident, then you would have to change over your plates and license to drive.

    Once you are settled you would need to transfer your policy to a more local agent.

  3. mrsdeli on November 23rd, 2009 1:42 pm

    In NJ, you have 6 months to establish residency and change your address and switch to NJ auto insurance.

  4. mistress_coleen_01 on November 24th, 2009 12:06 am

    I’d wait until you have a permanent address.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.