Do car insurance companies allow other policies to be used on the car affected?

January 10, 2017 · Posted in FAQ 
car insurance
Alex N asked:

I’m thinking of getting insurance with Norwich Union on my parents’ car. They are with esure, who do not accept drivers under 25. I was wondering if it was possible to get a policy with Norwich Union, with my parents as additional drivers, and not have it affect their own insurance. Thanks.

Car Insurance Search


6 Responses to “Do car insurance companies allow other policies to be used on the car affected?”

  1. rodregos on March 27th, 2009 12:40 pm

    Yes you can,but i would try for your insurance

  2. Buzz Killington on March 30th, 2009 2:55 pm

    Doing this would not affect your parent’s insurance policy. It’s two different policies, and it’s a good idea to have them on your policy. That way they would be covered. The only way there would be a problem is having your car insured under more than one company.

  3. J G on March 30th, 2009 10:30 pm

    In the UK, it’s illegal to have two separate policies covering one vehicle. It’s also in breach of the insurers’ conditions to ‘front’ – ie, for you to insure another person’s car in your name with them as named drivers, or vice versa.
    The only legitimate option would be for them to change their insurer & add you as a named driver.

  4. andy w on March 31st, 2009 7:54 am

    You can only have a single policy on a car.
    So you would either have to cancel their policy or have them change insurers and you don’t take out a policy yourself.

    If you think about it, if there was an accident then which company would be responsible for it??

  5. entidtil on April 1st, 2009 9:42 pm

    You may be able to insure a car twice but only one company will pay so it;s just a waste of money. You should simply use a company that will insure both you and your parents

  6. reggie on April 3rd, 2009 3:43 am

    You can’t have two insurance policies on one car, it that’s what you’re asking

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.