Do I need Legal Cover when taking out Motor Insurance?

November 10, 2017 · Posted in FAQ 
motor insurance
Raheel K asked:

Do I need Legal Cover when taking out Motor Insurance? What does Legal Cover actual mean? Would I need Legal Cover if I want to a third party accident claims company?

Car Insurance Search


6 Responses to “Do I need Legal Cover when taking out Motor Insurance?”

  1. cable guy on May 20th, 2010 2:48 am

    I would always advise you to take legal cover.The way of the world now is an ambulance chasing society and you never know if you cause an accident or are in one you may have to claim off the other person for injury etc.If you are a member of a Union,then they may well offer you legal cover for free like the T&GWU unite union

  2. emma2107 on May 21st, 2010 9:49 am

    its always best just in case and works out cheaper in the end

  3. Nicole on May 21st, 2010 7:02 pm

    You don’t NEED it is optional but if somebody claims off you for injury it could work out expensive. I don’t have it hopefully I will never need it lol

  4. Mike10613 on May 23rd, 2010 11:56 pm

    No, you pay extra for it. But run a kid over or an old lady on a crossing and you will wish you had it. I pay the bit extra just in case. The kids where I live are bloody suicidal. They have put humps every where to slow the cars down. So you have to watch the humps or wreck you wheel bearings – so you can’t watch the pavement for bloody kids. The green cross code and cycle profeciency tests used to work. Teach the kids to cross the damn roads they can use those daft things they put for disabled people everywhere and cross half at a time now. Don’t have a road planner organise your Christmas party – you’ll all go home sober.

  5. robertgreen2009 on May 26th, 2010 5:38 am

    buy prepay legal services

  6. welcome news on May 28th, 2010 11:41 am

    When you have an accident you suffer two types of losses (for this purpose) – insured losses and uninsured losses. Insured Losses are basically the damage to the car, if you have comprehensive cover – and your insurance company pays these. Uninsured losses are: excesses, injury, time off work etc. Your insurance company is not interested in these.

    So you have these losses – what do you do about it? You claim from the driver who is at fault. This could incur substantial expenses, you may have to fight the case to prove liability etc.

    Legal Cover provides cover against these losses. The company who does the recovery will in most cases not have to go to court but if they do then the costs are insured (By now all lgeal expenses/ uninsured loss recovery policies contracts should be underwritten – but it never hurts to check).

    Legal cover is not compulsory, however it can save you time and trouble if you do have to make a claim.

    There are two types – before the event and after the event – if you buy before the event it will cost you about £20.00 – if you buy after the event it will probaby cost you up to 10 times as much. If you go to a third-party claims company then if you do make a recovery they may (not will) charge a percentage of the recovery – and of course you are in the lap of the gods as to whether the company you select is reputable – several high-profile companies went into administration.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.