Do I need to be on my parents car insurance policy to drive it for a day?

October 9, 2017 · Posted in FAQ 
car insurance
john d asked:

I am over 18, and my parents live in my home. I do have a license, but don’t own a car as I take public transportation. Do I need to have auto insurance to drive his car for a few days? As in do I need to be put on the policy for just a day or two or is it alright? Assuming I don’t get into any accidents or get any violations?

Car Insurance Search


11 Responses to “Do I need to be on my parents car insurance policy to drive it for a day?”

  1. Doc. justasinner111 on December 14th, 2009 10:33 am

    yes you need to be on the policy.

  2. Robbie trd on December 15th, 2009 1:06 pm

    To be safe, yes, but anyone can let someone else borrow their car. It is still covered under their insurance. But if it were to be a regular occurance the company could contest any problem So to be safe, be on it. First thing I would do is contact the insurance agent with the question.

  3. JUSTME on December 16th, 2009 9:42 am

    You need to be on their policy.

  4. stallion1948_lloyd on December 17th, 2009 10:39 pm

    well if you have a wreck,then it will effect your parents insurance.

  5. sandy l on December 21st, 2009 7:52 am

    yes you must be listed as a driver in the home.
    if you are you might be covered but you have to check the policy and you have to have permission

  6. oklatom on December 22nd, 2009 1:35 am

    Since you are over 18, and I assume driving with their permission, you are probably all right. I’d check with their insurance agent just to be sure though.

  7. bostonianinmo on December 24th, 2009 7:47 pm

    If you live in the same household, you need to be listed on their policy. Even if you NEVER drive their car, you must be on the policy to be legal. All household members must be on the policy either as authorized drivers or prohibited drivers.

    It’s not IF you have an accident, but WHEN. It might be tomorrow or it might be in 20 years, you just don’t know.

  8. jrgannapolis on December 28th, 2009 12:26 am

    You are a resident relative and will be added or excluded if something ever happens. If insurance company sees that you are listed at the same address they will add you.

    If they don’t find out, you will be fine.

  9. jerry on December 30th, 2009 9:01 pm

    No, you do not need to be on their insurance. Even if you are in an accident or have a ticket, you do not need to be on their insurance. Their insurance covers the car and anyone driving the car with their permission.

    The people listed on the policy are the most common drivers and any other driver who has permissive use, so the insurance company knows, if they are involved in an accident, then they were okay to drive the car.

  10. WENDY R on December 31st, 2009 5:16 pm

    This is a yew and no question. Under normal circumstances you do not need to be listed on the insurance policy if you have permission to use the vehicle. The insurance will cover you if you have an accident. In this case since you live in the same house you should be listed as a driver because you have 24/7 access to their vehicles. The only time this wouldn’t be the case is if you had your own insurance in your name.

    Unfortunately, at your age, this would mean a rate increase for your parents.

    Also, keep in mind that many insurance companies will make the primary insured sign a form that states they will not let ANYONE use their vehicle. I would be on the safe side and have them call their insurance agent / company just in case.

  11. simsfamily0505 on December 31st, 2009 7:17 pm

    if you live with them they should of put you on it but if you drive you will be covered but if you wreck they will pay for it but they may cancel you parents policy

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.