Do I need to be on the car insurance if I don’t live in the house?

August 16, 2017 · Posted in FAQ 
car insurance
AylaxLoyalty asked:

I get my license tomorow and my dad was planning on letting me use his car Friday. His insurance covers the driver of the car, but then other insurance policys are saying that I need to be under the insurance, if I am in the home. I don’t live with him. So does he still need to add me to the insurance, since I don’t live in the home?

Car Insurance Search


9 Responses to “Do I need to be on the car insurance if I don’t live in the house?”

  1. Mr.Jim Lahey on October 16th, 2009 1:02 am

    I dont know where you live, but here in canada in most provinces you are right. I did that with my Dad, when I was a teen living with my mom. I never used her car, only his the odd time when I would visit, or to be his D-D haha. but ya no insurance needed.

    best bet is to get your dad to call his insurance company and be sure. you should be allowed because technically, if they say no, that would mean that NOBODY can drive his car except him. Thtat makes no sense right? However, some insurance policies state that no drivers under the age of 21, or 25, will ever use the vehicle. Then you’re screwed unless your that age or more.

  2. teigan_levi on October 16th, 2009 11:28 am

    yes everyone needs theyre own insurance – you can be added to his policy at extra cost but either way you need your own

  3. Richard B on October 17th, 2009 5:13 pm

    Yeah he definately needs to add you to his insurance as a 2nd driver of the car, whether you live in the house or not, his premium will increase though

  4. misskate12001 on October 19th, 2009 7:22 am

    I’m not clear on his policy. You said his insurance covers “the driver of the car.” Some policies will cover just one driver named in the policy. Others will cover any driver.

    Just call the insurance broker. They will be most familiar with the policy and will be able to tell you.

  5. Darren G on October 19th, 2009 9:04 am

    Depends. Most full coverage policies will insure any driver of that particular vehicle. In other cases such as liabilitly only…only the insured driver is covered!!

  6. Jennifer B on October 22nd, 2009 6:55 pm

    If you are going to drive the car on a regular basis, you should be on his insurance whether you live with him or not. If you were insured on a different automobile you would be an insured driver and that might pass. Otherwise, there would be no coverage if you got in an accident and you and your father could be sued for the damages. It is worth it to pay for the insurance.

  7. abbie111 on October 22nd, 2009 7:50 pm

    ummm. would you be at home when you are driving his car!!!!! answer is no so what has living at home got to do with car insurance.

  8. foxychick24 on October 24th, 2009 3:49 am

    When you have insurance… the insurance is for the car NOT the person. With the company that I work for… if you are only driving this car for one day and you have a valid drivers license then you may use the vh since the vehicle is insured. If you are going to be an “occasional” driver of the vehicle (meaning using the vehicle every month)… then yes you should be rated as a driver on the vehicle.

  9. jodi n on October 27th, 2009 7:39 am

    I’m a licensed agent in Minnesota.
    Insurance laws & regulations differ in every state, so careful with what advise you decide to follow. Here in MN. your policy will automaticlly cover any licensed driver whom you give permission to drive your car….BUT PIP or personal injury protection will follow your household policy where you DO live. I’m assumeing here, thta you live with your mom & she has you listed on HER policy…Then NO you wouldn’t need to be listed on Dad’s policy to drive his car. His ins. company, if they know that you’re a part-time resident (like weekend visits) can require proof of your being listed on another policy OR could “force place” you on his. LOTS of grey areas here depending on your state & your exact situation. My suggestion if you think that what his agent is saying would be to visit a local Independant agent. We have access to many different companies. So can not only answer state specific questions, but know which companies are going to be better suited for your situation. If you go to a single market – type agent like American family or Liberty mutual…that agent can only tell you what their company will or won’t do. I have several companies that are really flexible & others who are alot more conservative.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.