Do you have to have car insurance after you get your license?

May 11, 2017 · Posted in FAQ 
car insurance
Paul C asked:

If your over 18 and just getting your drivers license, but don’t have your own car, how does the insurance work? Using a relative’s car. How does this work?
So I could just go take my drivers test, using my brother’s car, and not need to get any of my own insurance. Would my brother’s insurance go up?

Car Insurance Search


7 Responses to “Do you have to have car insurance after you get your license?”

  1. Stephen N on May 1st, 2009 4:04 pm

    It all might depend on your states laws. To my knowledge you do not have to have insurance when driving someone else’s vehicle. At the very least the car should be insured by the owner of it. I would suggest trying to get your own insurance however just for the sake of it…it is a much more secure and safe way to go about driving.

  2. melody r on May 4th, 2009 3:28 pm

    The vehicle that you are driving must be insured not you personally

  3. bluesky on May 4th, 2009 7:45 pm

    you should get insurance when you own a car. it’s not recommended to use other’s car because it’s insured under somebody else’s name. if something happens (ex. an accident), the owner will be responsible n i believe you will also be part of it.

  4. swood1968 on May 6th, 2009 1:09 am

    Depending on your state, you have to prove that you have insurance to obtain or renew your license.
    Use of another person’s vehicle is a different issue. If you plan to have frequent or regular use/access to a relative’s vehicle, you’ll want to have them add you to their policy. If they don’t and you have an accident, this could create some coverage issues resulting in a delayed or denied claim. Call and talk to an agent, most states will offer a “non-owner’s” policy. This is a policy written specifically for people that don’t have a car, but want to ensure coverage when they a vehicle.

  5. sensible_man on May 8th, 2009 10:34 am

    Check the car owners insurance policy. Many do not cover anyone under 25 years of age. If you do not live with your Brother, he may not be able to add you to his policy. The results could be that you are not insured and your Brothers insurance would not cover in the event of an accident. This is worse case scenario, but check it out before driving his car.

  6. UCANTCME on May 10th, 2009 5:55 pm

    You are also required by state laws to be financially responsible. This requirement is best satisfied through your insurance coverage. In most states, insurance is a prerequisite to registering your car. So if you want to drive your own vehicle, you must be insured.

    If you use your brothers vehicle he will have to add you on as a driver and notify his insurance company because if for some reason you had an accident then your brother would be completely responsible for any and all damages that you did.

  7. mrjobez on May 12th, 2009 7:03 pm

    if the vehicle is insured, you are insured. Unless you are explicitly excluded from the policy. If you live with someone who is insured, then in most states you should be insured under their policy as a “resident relative”

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.