How can you negotiate with car insurance agency after a wreck if you have no insurance to cover other driver?

January 4, 2017 · Posted in FAQ 
car insurance
Machine asked:

How can you negotiate with car insurance agency after a wreck that was caused by you if you have no insurance to cover the other driver? Are there any legal ramifications?

Car Insurance Search


5 Responses to “How can you negotiate with car insurance agency after a wreck if you have no insurance to cover other driver?”

  1. crookmatt on March 26th, 2009 2:35 am

    Basic liability insurance will cover the other driver up to your limit. Did you have any auto insurance? If not, you are in deep !#$$$. If you do than it should already be covered.

  2. Big Deal Maker on March 26th, 2009 5:16 pm

    Yes there are a lot of legal ramifications. Suspension of your drivers licence for one. A Hugh fine. Car is impounded until you show proof of insurance.
    Then you will need to file a sr22 form for an entire year or more.
    The other car at this point is insured. It is called uninsured motorist. After you pay all fines, fees, etc. maybe it would of been cheaper in the long run to have purchased the insurance.

  3. MSAD on March 27th, 2009 8:26 am

    If you caused an accident and had no insurance – the other driver will be able to file an uninsured motorist claim. Their insurance company will pay for all the things yours would have (if you have insurance).

    Then the other driver’s insurance company will turn the matter over to their subrogation department. The Subrogation department will contact you about paying them back. Do not ignore them – they can have your drivers license suspended, sue you or turn you over to collections.

    However, the subrogation department will be willing to set up an interest free payment plan for you to repay them for all they paid their driver. Most likely they will want at least $100 per month – until the debt is paid in full. If you miss payments – they suspend your license, sue you or turn you over to collections.

    The other thing you can do – is see if the subro dept will accept a lesser lump sum. For example: you owe them $10,000 – they may be willing to take 7,000 if you pay it as a lump sum. They would rather get a little less all at once – than collect the full $10,000 – 100 dollars at a time.

    Can you dispute the amount they want? No – not really. They paid it – you owe it.

    ** not legal advice **

  4. Queen B on March 30th, 2009 3:04 pm

    what is it you want to negotiate on? you are at fault, you pay. one way or the other. they will turn it into their insurance company and their insurance company will come after you for payment. pay up!

  5. mbrcatz17 on March 30th, 2009 11:36 pm

    There’s not much to negotiate. You owe the other driver, for their damage and bodily injuries, in full. Period. That insurance company will take you to court and garnish your wages. You can’t “sette”, for example, for $.50 on the dollar. “Settling” will come after they go to court and try to collect. It might take 4-5 years of them trying to garnish wages unsuccessfully, before they sell the debt off to a collection agency that will be willing to settle.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.