How do I get rid of my car insurance?

March 14, 2017 · Posted in FAQ 
car insurance
liki asked:

I’ve got insurance on my car, but I am looking to cancel it. And I would like to cancel it without really having to explain myself to the company, seeing as they will want some sort of proof that I’ve for instance changed to a different company. I will be moving out the country come autumn, and I can’t “bring the bills with me” for when I move away. It will cost too much, and no one will be driving the car anyway.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can cancel it?

Car Insurance Search


8 Responses to “How do I get rid of my car insurance?”

  1. experience on April 9th, 2009 7:02 am

    Tell them you sold the car, and are not going to be driving another one. Then sell the car to whoever is watching your stuff while your gone for $1 (with plans to buy it back of course upon your return).

  2. Mike on April 12th, 2009 7:41 am

    Depending on what company you have, either go onto the website of simply call the company and ask to cancel it.

  3. Irish on April 13th, 2009 4:26 pm

    Tell them to cancel your policy immediately and send a rebate due you. You don’t need a reason. If they insist, tell them you will report them to the Dept. of Ins. They don’t like complaints filed against them. That’s ridiculous to tell you they won’t cancel the insurance. They don’t need an explanation.

  4. Paul on April 16th, 2009 2:51 am

    Simple. Don’t send them any more money. They will cancel YOU.

    In the future, if you want to insure it again, you will be asked why it has not been insured for a while. Explain the facts, and they will insure you again.

  5. impossible on April 19th, 2009 12:32 am

    Just call and cancel. You don’t have to explain yourself. I’ve cancelled policies before and they didn’t ask questions.

  6. Rich on April 21st, 2009 8:54 am

    Your answer is very bad. If you do not call and cancel the policy and do not pay the bill it will go to collections and do damage to your credit score. If you are moving out of the country and coming back within a year or so, ask your agent about putting the car in suspense. This means that there is only comprehensive coverage on the car. (theft, vandalism, fire) This is the cheapest way to go. Should only cost about $50 for six months. This way when you come back to the US you will still have an active policy. One of the most expensive policies to write is one where the person has no prior insurance or a lapse in coverage. If you really want to cancel the policy, just tell your agent that you are leaving the country. No need to lie.

  7. kayleesmom01 on April 22nd, 2009 4:52 am

    OMG, yes. If at all possible do not just let yourself be uninsured (especially if you don’t have high risk insurance already) if you plan to come back to the states. You will greatly regret it if you do. The hardest thing to do is dig out of starting over with no insurance. The rates are HIGH and you likely would have lower coverage than would be optimum for most people.

    Please speak to your insurance agent about your options! After working in the insurance field for several years I have seen this over and over.

  8. smokey on April 23rd, 2009 10:09 am

    Don’t cancel it. call them up and tell them you will be out of the country and asked for a reduced rate. usually they will just charge you for comprehensive. The reason for this is when you get back and try to get insurance they are going to see that you had a lapse in coverage and will charge you more. Also in many states in order to have your car registered you must have it insured. Trust me just pay the 10 a month and save yourself from all the added stress you will endure when you get back.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.