How much time do you have to get car insurance after buying a car?

February 19, 2017 · Posted in FAQ 
car insurance
null asked:

I’m considering buying a car insurance, I’ve been driving for years but none of the cars have actually been in my name and my mom has me on her plan. If I buy a car I’ll need insurance, how much time would I have to get it?

Car Insurance Search


17 Responses to “How much time do you have to get car insurance after buying a car?”

  1. kelly_f_1999 on March 29th, 2009 2:42 pm

    sooner the better so on the way home from where you buy it or better yet before you drive it best and smarter knowing there could be a wreak at any time and no insurance at any time cost you more than you want to know about so sooner the better

  2. Smokey on March 31st, 2009 1:32 am

    It varies from state-to-state. In my state, you can run with temporary 10-day plates until you register the vehicle. Then, when you go to register it you need proof of insurance. Check with your Dept. of Motor Vehicles.

  3. Benjamin J on April 1st, 2009 9:42 pm

    get it before you drive home. Once the sale is made it is in your name and if you get in an accident, you will wish you had it

  4. oklatom on April 4th, 2009 6:28 pm

    All the way up to the moment you insert the key in the ignition, start it and drive it. Don’t move it an inch without insurance.

    Call your agent and tell him what car you are buying as soon as you know. Give him the VIN and he will get things started. Before you pick up the car, stop by, pay the bill, and get your insurance card.

  5. Maria on April 7th, 2009 4:00 pm

    In Michigan, if you take out a loan on a vehicle, you have to get it insured before you can even drive it off the lot. If you buy it out right, then the liability is on the buyer.

  6. focus on April 8th, 2009 9:15 pm

    In the UK you must have the insurance before you can drive the car on the road.

  7. Insuranceman on April 11th, 2009 11:11 am

    You need to have insurance on the car when you sign the papers and drive off the lot.

    When you are just “test driving”, the dealer’s insurance will protect you.

    Be careful – we’re seeing dealers tell buyers “You have thirty days of free insurance!” and that might be true in SOME States where you have thirty days coverage for newly acquired vehicles …IF……you have an EXISTING insurance policy and you are SUBSTITUTING vehicles for “like coverage.”

    Good luck and I hope this helps!

  8. mbrcatz on April 12th, 2009 10:17 am

    None, if you’re driving. You have to have insurance on the car BEFORE you can get any tags for it, or drive it. And if there’s a loan, they won’t let you take it off the lot without insurance.

  9. hunt_ken on April 13th, 2009 7:10 pm

    In Texas, they won’t let you drive it off the lot until you have secured insurance for the vehicle.

  10. john on April 15th, 2009 4:10 pm

    In the UK you need insurance as soon as you drive out from the garage onto public roads. No insurance then stay off the public roads or get a driving ban if caught!

  11. bluemoooner on April 17th, 2009 7:29 am

    in the uk the law clearly states any motorised car/van/truck/bus must have insurance to be on any public highway that’s side roads,cul de sacs wether it parked or driven.
    the only exceptions are on trade plates or being towed and insurance cover must be provided by the towing vehicle.if your car is not on any land covered as a public highway then insurance will not be needed,but its your risk incase of any incident like idiots letting your handbrake off then you will be screwed for no ins if it causes personal injury or damage to any property or other vehicle.

  12. Amanda S -Insurance Attorney on April 17th, 2009 3:00 pm

    Hi Null,

    You will need insurance before you drive the car off the lot.

    If you finance the car you will need full coverage.

    Contact my source below and they can insure you before you but your car.

    Good Luck :)

  13. Clifford S on April 19th, 2009 2:57 pm

    When you take delivery (possession) of your vehicle auto insurance should be in place. Shop around for good rates prior to delivery so you’re not under any undue pressure when you take delivery. Once you have settled on an insurance company all you will need to do is have the policy bound (take effect) when you’re ready to take delivery of the vehicle. Good Luck.

  14. Bella N on April 20th, 2009 3:35 am

    You’ll need to show proof of insurance when you go to the DMV to register the vehicle. If you’re looking for insurance check out the source I’ve listed below. They have the best rates I have been able to find. Good luck!

    Happy holidays.

  15. foxychick24 on April 23rd, 2009 1:46 pm

    You will need the insurance on the car before you can drive it home. The only exception is if the dealer will allow you to keep the dealer tags and plate and allow you to remain covered under their policy until you get insurance. Most dealerships will not allow this option because their insurance rates could be effected if you would have a loss with their plate and tags on it.

    No coverage would extend from your moms policy for a newly acquired car, UNLESS the car is in her name. That is the only time coverage would extend for a newly acquired vehicle, and typically it is only 5 days for comp and collision (if the car is in your mom’s name) and 14 days for liability.

    The answer that I am providing is for PA.

  16. nosdda on April 26th, 2009 4:34 pm

    I advise you to get it the day before you buy the car, then you can drive it straightaway.

  17. Sybilla S on April 27th, 2009 6:06 pm

    There are lots of sites where you can get an online quote. It only takes less than 10 minutes to do.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.