If you have fully comprehensive car insurance are you covered for third party on other vehicles?

March 22, 2017 · Posted in FAQ 
car insurance
G B asked:

For example if I was insured on one car fully comprehensive and wanted to drive another not on the policy, is the driver covered with third party insurance? If the other car owner has gave permission for you to drive the car. Thanks, any information regarding limitations (value, performance) would be helpful also.
Does it make a difference if it is a performance car? Not a ferrari or anything but just a 2.0L 6-speed ? Cheers.

Car Insurance Search


10 Responses to “If you have fully comprehensive car insurance are you covered for third party on other vehicles?”

  1. starlet108 on April 15th, 2009 11:45 am

    Yes but read your policy for any clauses xxxxxxxx

  2. oscarweird on April 18th, 2009 12:56 am

    Often this is the case, but it has to be a car you do not own. Check your policy.

  3. sparkey on April 19th, 2009 3:20 pm

    as long as you have the owners permission to drive itand it is legal and you have the correct licence to drive it

  4. PERCY on April 20th, 2009 11:41 pm

    When I was insured fully comprehensive. It enabled me to drive another car Third Party………..with the owners permission.

  5. ANF on April 24th, 2009 4:54 am

    If you have fully comp on your car for you then you are covered for third party on a friends car if driving with permission.
    Happy Christmas.

  6. roy d on April 24th, 2009 8:40 pm

    If the owner of the vehicle has given you permission to drive the vehicle then you should be covered by your own insurance to drive it.

  7. Rich S on April 26th, 2009 8:05 pm

    Usually you are covered,
    BUT it is best to read the insurance certificate and small print to make sure.

  8. Jimmy c on April 29th, 2009 3:25 am

    You can get it on TPFT sometimes.The main exclusions are that you are over 25 and don’t work in the motor trade, although even then some insurers well exclude it, Always as k your broker/insurer first

  9. CHRIS G on May 1st, 2009 6:24 pm

    In a word – Yes !!

  10. mrandrews2003 on May 2nd, 2009 11:38 pm

    i have asked this very same question myself, most insurance companies will only let you drive other cars third party if you are 25 years old or older… you have to have permission of the owner of the vehicle obviously…
    a lot of people dont know about the over 25 rule.
    i had a friend got 6 points on his license and a hefty fine for not knowing that he had to be over 25.
    i would definitely confirm with your insurance company…

  11. orange07974 on May 5th, 2009 7:06 pm

    If you are the policy holder and named driver of an active full comp insurance policy you usually are permitted to drive other cars with third party insurance which I lent or hired to you. If I was you, I would look at the fully comp policy and it will provide you with any details or exclusions such as age.

    Don’t drive without the proper insurance in place. It’s just not worth it.

  12. Broker Man on May 6th, 2009 8:17 am

    One simple answer – read your certificate of insurance that has been issued to you and not the cover note. This will clearly state whether you have this extension of cover. The wording will be something along the lines of ” The policyholder may also drive with the consent of the owner thereof a motor car or motor cycle which does not belong to him or her and is not hired to him or her under a hire purchase or leasing agreement and that he or she is not in the motor trade or car hire business for Third Party Only cover”.

    If you do not have this extension under your policy you can purchase temporary insurance cover which does not affect your No Claims Bonus in the event of a claim.

  13. welcome news on May 6th, 2009 12:07 pm

    The fact that a policy is ‘Comprehensive’ does NOT automatically give you the right to drive another car for third party only risks. It is up to you to check that the certificate states “The policyholder may drive a car that they do not own and which is not let to them under a hire-purchase agreement”!. If you have a broker then ask them.

    If you DO have this benefit then you can drive any car – irrespective of age/ make/ model – but you are not covered for any loss or damage to it. (NB you can’t drive motorcycles or heavy CVs)

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.