Is it possible to give car insurance benefits to my boyfriend?

May 10, 2017 · Posted in FAQ 
car insurance
meaniehead16 asked:

Im going out of the country next week, I will not be coming back until the first few days of january. My boyfriend is currently staying at my house and he has no means of transportation. (He is 20 years old, and his car completely broke down–our location is Dallas TX.)

I was wondering if it was possible to “add” him under my father’s car insurance plan, with him being a non-family member.

ANY information is helpful and greately appreciated.

Please, no dumb comments as this is of great importance to us.

Car Insurance Search


7 Responses to “Is it possible to give car insurance benefits to my boyfriend?”

  1. Edward W on April 29th, 2009 4:37 am

    Insurance coverage normally extends to any legally licensed driver who uses your car with your permission.

  2. Loose Change™¢ on May 2nd, 2009 6:00 am

    All it would take is a simple phone call to your father’s insurance company to find out. I agree with the first answerer, but in any event, the insurance also follows the car, and as owners, the insurance company must indemnify you (cover you) if there is any liability.

  3. Usaneko on May 3rd, 2009 7:21 am

    If it’s your father’s plan, you’ll need to talk to your father, but it is possible. Your father can add anyone to his plan that will be driving his car or any car under his coverage, but as the primary, he is the one that will have to do it.

  4. Max J on May 3rd, 2009 10:07 pm

    At least with state farm you can. When I was in Highschool one of my friends was on my parents insurance policy with me untill he was able to get on his feet after a nasty family situation. You’ve got to have the consent of the policy owner, but on a good note, if he has a good driving/insuance record, dad’s rate may actually go down by carrying more policy holders.

  5. Insuranceman on May 6th, 2009 9:05 pm

    If your boyfriend is staying at your house while you are gone, there is no need to add him as by definition in the Texas policy, he is already covered.

    In the Texas auto policy (in MOST cases) the insured is defined as: 1) named insured 2) spouse and 3) residents of the household – and since your boyfriend IS a resident, he is automatically included.

    Now…if he causes an accident and is NOT listed on the policy and your Texas ID Card, he may get some hassle and in some areas of Dallas, they may tow his car – but, you should be able to straighten this out when you get home.

    I would suggest leaving him some type of authorization allowing him to drive and notarized would probably be a good idea.

    Good luck, have a fun trip and I hope this helps!

  6. Ivan T on May 9th, 2009 5:59 pm

    u sure can…

  7. marvelboy74 on May 12th, 2009 10:47 pm

    It would be advisable to add him under the policy, especially if he has been living with your for an extended time. The carrier I work for is very aggressive in determining these unknown driver exposures. Best to have your father contact the agent. Not all insurance policies are the same and some policies may only provide a limited coverage.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.