Is there some type of one time only Mexico travel insurance for your car?

September 26, 2017 · Posted in FAQ 
car insurance
*C* (Fight 4 Iran) asked:

Is there some type of one time only Mexico travel insurance for your car? I am going to Tijuana for a weekend and my insurance company only covers until 50 miles out. I hear that there is some type of car insurance that Mexico offers? Does anybody know about that? I mean specifically for theft prevention. Thanks!

Car Insurance Search


5 Responses to “Is there some type of one time only Mexico travel insurance for your car?”

  1. kim m on December 1st, 2009 8:32 am

    There’s a little shop where you can get it right before the border. Look for the signs. It costs about $30 for a day.

  2. dl on December 5th, 2009 11:03 am

    Some insurance companies provide it – just call yours and ask.

  3. Ricardo G on December 5th, 2009 6:19 pm

    I drive to Guanajuato and AAA sets me up for temporary service outside the US, for the time im south of the border its an additional 10 bucks, when I come back and report it they set it right back

  4. Funny Guy on December 5th, 2009 9:29 pm

    You can buy car insurance for mexico from 1 day to 365 days. There are several reliable places you can purchase and print your insurance policy online. I bought my policy from, Which gave me several options. I went with Ana Seguero, and they have been great! I had an accident and they came out right away and issued me a repair ticket. there are several other website you can purchase insurance from as well too.
    Here are some others and I take no responsibility for any of these companies including mexadventure or ana.
    These are just a few to give you a starting point and if you do a google search you can find tons more as well too. If you forget to buy a policy ahead of time if you are crossing to tijuana from interstate five you can get off on the last american exit (Camino de la plaza) and they have places that sell auto insurance for mexico. There is one right as you exit and make a right on the left hand side before Plaza America. You can Also cross the border and buy insurance right after crossing as well too.
    About buying your policy, They offer several different deductible and value so you will need to do a little research before hand to know the value of your car before you buy your policy and they will usually ask you to select your amount of coverage. (Note even if you select a higher coverage and the value of your vehicle is less they will only pay out the value of your vehicle.) Other things to consider is it really necessary to drive in Tijuana as the laws and rules and just the general way the people drive there are completely different than in America and if you don’t have someone experienced with you your most likely to get lost. Also you will need your registration in YOUR NAME, Driver License, and a copy of your whole policy with you when driving your vehicle. If the registration is not in your name, then you need a notarized letter from the registered owner of the car giving you permission to use it in mexico, and if it leased a letter from the leasing company. Also you are only allowed to travel up to 10 miles from the border without an importation permit, State of Sonora not included. One more note, if you have an accident where your at fault you can be arrested and jailed until the other party is satisfied or it is determined you can pay for the damage you caused. As long as you are prepared for all that then I say go ahead and enjoy. Sorry for the lengthy reply but I just wanted to make sure you were aware of what driving in Mexico included.

  5. GEORGE S on December 6th, 2009 4:42 am

    for the situation like yours,I would like to suggest you have a look here

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.