Motor insurance? Considering Ireland is in the EU, can i get my insurance with an English motor insurer?

October 23, 2017 · Posted in FAQ 
motor insurance
adrian m asked:

I’m sick paying over the odds in Ireland for motor insurance. Can i get cover from an English or northern Ireland motor insurer that will cover me in the Rep of Ireland considering the free movement of goods and services within the EU

Car Insurance Search


No Responses to “Motor insurance? Considering Ireland is in the EU, can i get my insurance with an English motor insurer?”

  1. Two Fingered Salute on May 16th, 2010 7:12 pm

    Sort of but sorry…. no

    Insurers in the EU can do business in any other member state under the ‘passporting’ rules in the EU 3rd Insurance directive (subject to rubber stamp approval). So from that perspective there is free movement and yes legally you could buy insurance from say Commercial Union in London (or Belfast for that matter as in this context NI and England are the same)

    However, you’d still need to buy a policy that covers you in the ROI you can’t just buy a UK policy. As much as anything else taxes, levies (for uninsured drivers etc) are different in each country.

    Don’t forget nearly all the companies who sell car insurance in the UK have a branch or subsidiary in Ireland, for example Commercial Union in the UK and Hibernian (who also do the Irish Tescos Insurance) in Ireland are both part of Aviva. So there’s unlikley to be any price difference.

    The real reason there is a price difference between the UK and ROI is almost certainly because of the claims experience, this is no different to people who live in London paying more for car insurance than people who live in some little village.

    Since in whichever country you buy the cover, the price will be based on where you live… it won’t be any cheaper.

    Sorry it’s not the answer you wanted, but I’m pretty sure that’s how it is.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.