What can I do if I was dropped from my car insurance?

September 29, 2017 · Posted in FAQ 
car insurance
karat720 asked:

I got a letter today, saying that my car insurance policy will be terminated near the end of October, less than a month from now. This is because of a minor accident last December and a recent speeding ticket that I just finished traffic school for. What are my options? Are my rates going to be sky high with another company because of this?

Car Insurance Search


11 Responses to “What can I do if I was dropped from my car insurance?”

  1. Rigo on December 4th, 2009 7:10 am

    Probably. Best to secure new insurance with a new carrier as soon as possible so you don’t have a lapse in coverage.

  2. mel on December 4th, 2009 11:14 am

    yea, but shop for another carrier now. It would make it look better if YOU were leaving them, not the other way around.

  3. BONNI on December 7th, 2009 3:28 pm

    You better find another agency and fast. If you are caught driving without insurance you can go to jail. If you still have a loan on the car the bank can call in your loan if you don’t have insurance.

  4. Scottyboy on December 7th, 2009 7:00 pm

    It strikes me funny that our constitution states plainly that no one entity of government shall gain a power that is greater than the will of the people. Why, and I shall stress Why, have we, The Sacred People, allowed ourselves to be the serfs of the stinking Government????

  5. Lauren on December 11th, 2009 4:14 am

    Start looking for a new company now and make sure you get one before your other coverage expires. Many compnaies will penalize you if you don’t have current insurance. Also many states now consider it illegal to drive without insurance and can impound your car, fine you or in some case give you jail time.

    Yes your rates will go up, but as long you keep a clean record for three years your rates will drop again

  6. RIchard H on December 14th, 2009 2:50 am

    Look for another insurance company. Then a month later change cause the first one will get a copy of your record too… but never let it run out…

  7. JAREAD on December 14th, 2009 7:20 pm

    If you went to traffic school the ticket should not show up on your driving record. You can go to the DMV and get a copy of your driving record and then shop around for a new more reasonable Insurance company. You might want to look at Geiko, or a couple others

    Check your driving record before you do anything else

  8. oklatom on December 17th, 2009 6:47 pm

    You have two options.
    1. Quit driving.
    2. Get another policy

    Yes, with your record you may have higher rates.

  9. Chris on December 19th, 2009 8:40 am

    You just have to call around. The rate may be higher because of the accident and the ticket might not show up if the traffic school cleared it off your record. The accident though will be what follows you around for a few years.

  10. notaclue on December 20th, 2009 9:03 am

    Again, as stated so many times on this site- it’s a state by state issue! Our state prohibits carriers for three years from canceling insurance for any other reason than non-payment, DWI-DUI or the use of a motor vehicle in the commission of a crime such as leaving the scene of a personal injury accident, bank robbery, etc!
    Yes, on the second issue! The new carrier is definitely going to surcharge you for an accident (if at fault) and a speeding violation!

  11. cwbachman on December 23rd, 2009 12:36 pm

    well looks like you are going to have to get a sr22 and keep it up to date for one full year without any sort of tickets
    my son had to do the same thing hope this will answer your

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.