What do I do if my car insurance lapsed without my knowledge?

January 22, 2017 · Posted in FAQ 
car insurance
Mandy . asked:

I need to get tags for my car this month, only when I called my car financing company to see how much it is, they told me that my insurance had lapsed, and my registration was suspended!! I had no idea, because my cousin had gotten the insurance for me (we are now estranged, and I don’t have any contact with her), and I was told by her the insurance expired in May. All my documments have been sent to her house (and she refuses to send me my mail) and I had no idea. Now, I’m terrified that I won’t be able to get my registration back, or pay fines, because I just barely have enough to get new insurance and pay for my tags. I have no proof that she bought insurance for me through May or anything. Does anyone else have had to go through this? What will happen? Please help!
Ok, in lieu of a really nasty post, I must clarify something. I was living with my cousin. Cousin paid for 6 months of insurance (she has a discount, and I paid her back). Since I was living with her, I used her address. We had a falling out- I no longer speak to her, nor have plans to keep in touch. However, she refuses to send me my mail. My address has since been updated, AFTER notices were sent to my cousins house. I was being entirely truthful- you just didn’t read my post all the way through. please read through people’s posts before posting nasty replies. It’ll be greatly appreciated.

Car Insurance Search


6 Responses to “What do I do if my car insurance lapsed without my knowledge?”

  1. Cato on March 27th, 2009 8:27 am

    I would start by calling an insurance company of your choice and explain to them what is going on. They might help you staighten everything out, or point you in the right direction.

  2. Laissez-Faire Guy on March 28th, 2009 1:00 am

    As I understand it, you’ve got 3 issues.

    1. No insurance.
    2. Expired registration
    3. No copy of your registration

    Sounds like you need to re-insure the car, then go down to the DMV with your VIN and license plate number handy and show them proof of insurance and pay the registration fees. While you are there, make sure they update their database with your new address.

    After paying the fees, they should be able to print you off a new registration certificate and issue you the new tags right then and there.

  3. oklatom on March 29th, 2009 12:34 am

    If you are the registered owner of the car, you would have been notified by mail when your insurance expired and given a chance to bring it up to date. Also you don’t call your finance company to see how much your tags are going to be, you call the office that handles such things. Likewise they would have no idea about the registration. All they know is whether or not the payments are being made.

    So I suspect you are being less that truthful here. Even if you did give them someone Else’s address, you could always (since it’s in your name) change that address at the post office and you would get everything with your name on it then. Likewise the insurance company. Likewise the finance company, and the tag office.

  4. londonmh on April 1st, 2009 4:37 am

    1)Go to a local insurance agent and tell them that you want an insurance policy. Give them the name and account number for your car loan. They can confirm the VIN and title info.

    2)Go to the BMV(call first) find out what you need to get duplicate registration. You will definitely need proof of insurance to do this, so complete step 1 first.

    In both steps above, do everything yourself. Give current, accurate address and phone info. Give truthful answers to the application questions. Finally, human beings are sympathetic creatures, but financial institutions are not. I understand that S**T happens, but banks, BMV and insurance companies don’t really care. The owner of a vehicle and insurance policy is responsible for maintaining insurance so ultimately you cannot pass the blame. You can take responsibility, buck up this time and learn from the mistake.

  5. CaseyAngelEyes on April 2nd, 2009 8:04 am

    You will need to get a new policy first & then get everything else ironed out. You may want to try a website that compares multiple companies at once to get you the best price. I am paying less than ½ after I did.

    Go to:

    Take care,

  6. Pud L J on April 3rd, 2009 8:58 am

    First of all she’s commiting a felony if she is opening and reading your mail without your consent.Secondly you have a 30 day grace after the policy expires to get it reinstated but now you are high risk.
    You need to contact the postoffice to get you address changed and notify all of your debtors of the same NOW!
    Get ready to pay some high premiums. You’ll need to change everything into your name.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.