What if someone hits my car & says she does not have her car insurance policy with her?

October 8, 2017 · Posted in FAQ 
car insurance
chick asked:

She rear-ended me when we were stopped at a red light. She said she’s covered under her Father’s policy, but she didn’t have the policy info in her car. She didn’t give me her parent’s info. Would my insurance premium go up even though I was not at fault?

Car Insurance Search


9 Responses to “What if someone hits my car & says she does not have her car insurance policy with her?”

  1. mike s on December 14th, 2009 8:22 am

    Yes probably. Hope she showed you her ID? She committed an offence by refusing to provide details regarding the cars ownership! Go and visit your local police station.

  2. 808fl on December 16th, 2009 2:01 am

    I was rearended and the insurance accepted it was a NO FAULT accident on my part I did not lose any no claim and my premium did not go up (uk}

  3. oklatom on December 18th, 2009 6:21 pm

    Not if you contact her and get the information, or get it off the police report (you did call the police, right?) and get your damages taken care of that way. Since you were not at fault, and your insurance didn’t have to pay off, why would they raise your rates?

  4. The original Peter G on December 19th, 2009 7:33 pm

    It’s now a legal requirement (in UK) to give insurance details after an accident. You should have taken any details of driver ID and reg number of car, Photos if possible and make a police report asap if the other does not fully comply

  5. Maureen on December 19th, 2009 10:36 pm

    I hope you contacted the police and at least have some contact info.

    Your premium shouldn’t go up if you’re at fault. You might have to pay the deductible if you don’t have her (or her father’s info)

  6. Larry E on December 22nd, 2009 4:29 am

    You don’t carry the policy but you have to carry a proof of insurance card. You should have called the police. By law she should have had to give you their insurance information. You might be left holding the bag on this one.

  7. entidtil on December 23rd, 2009 5:08 pm

    You would be very foolish not to turn this in to your insurance company. Let them do the job that you “hired” them to do. They will “go after” the other party for you. If you are so worried about your rates MAYBE going up, maybe you shouldn’t have insurance at all and then you wouldn’t have to worry about rates.

  8. babysparkle1975@btinternet.com on December 24th, 2009 2:50 pm

    i think u have been had. she prob got no insurance, so you will have to pay for damage yourself. hope you got the police when the accident happened

  9. Lawnboy & Luna on December 26th, 2009 12:08 pm

    She does not have to carry around her insurance policy. It is very likely she is indeed covered under her father’s policy.

    Report the claim to your insurance company. They will pay you and then subrogate against the at fault party’s insurance.

    Your rates should not go up if you were not at fault.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.