What is the best car insurance for a traveler?

May 28, 2017 · Posted in FAQ 
car insurance
Maria asked:

Hi, me and my partner just bought a car in Auckland. We are traveling around New Zealand for around 9 months and was wondering which is the best vehicle insurance we can get.

Car Insurance Search


5 Responses to “What is the best car insurance for a traveler?”

  1. Lina on July 18th, 2009 8:35 am

    Hi there,

    me and partner have been travelling around New Zealand for about 12 months. We bought our van in Auckland and got the insurance at Backpackers Car Market. So far so good:) That was the cheapest insurance we could get it and also with very good conditions and regulations.

    Have a nice trip in New Zealand, you will definitely like it

  2. NZBR Tours on July 20th, 2009 4:33 pm

    Go in any bank in Auckland and ask for the best possible deal. And if you car is not really new you could go for the cheapest option, which is a 3rd party only insurance.

    Have a great time in NZ!

  3. Roger on July 21st, 2009 5:18 am

    Good day!
    When I arrived to New Zealand and bought my van in Christchurch, one of the banks offered me quite a good deal with the auto insurance. However, when I had an accident they refused to pay for the damage I caused to another car because I’m not a New Zealand resident. I was very disappointed they did not mention anything about it when i purchased the insurance.
    I found out that non residents can only get a third party insurance and QBE is the only motor insurance offers it for travelers. I happily changed to this insurance as it will definitely pay for the expenses in case of a car accident. The cheapest place to get it is from Backpackers Car Market in Auckland. They also offer great Roadside Assistance deals with it. Check their page out, it will help!

    Enjoy your trip around New Zealand!

  4. Maori Gurl From NZ on July 24th, 2009 3:07 pm

    AA and get the roadside assistance cover too

  5. Vanessa C on July 25th, 2009 2:31 pm

    Okay… Tip number one – Don’t use banks to gain insurance. You end up with a substandard policy for a high cost. Go direct to the Insurer. AA is very good. Make sure you check out your policy though and don’t just go for the cheapest.
    If you are under 18, or have purchased a modified vehicle or have lost your license in the past you may find it hard to gain insurance. In that case try NAC Insurance as they are the only one that insure high risk drivers.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.