What to do if my cancelled car insurance certificate never arrived?

January 15, 2017 · Posted in FAQ 
car insurance
Val K asked:

I have cancelled insurance second day after I got it as I didnt buy the car I intended. In order to get refunded I need to return the certificate, which never arrived. I do not know if it is stolen from post box or it went to the wrong one or just simply never arrived. How do I prove that and get refunded after all?

Car Insurance Search


2 Responses to “What to do if my cancelled car insurance certificate never arrived?”

  1. Indy500 on March 26th, 2009 5:24 am

    You do NOT have to return the certificate and it is NOT reason for them to withhold payment.

    Send them a letter saying that you have not received the certificate for an undetermined reason and to refund you immediately.

    Give them seven days to act.

    You will receive your cheque or reund shortly. And if you don’t – let me know.

  2. sparkle555_2000 on March 29th, 2009 9:50 am

    For motor insurances, cancellation requested by the insured will not take place until the certificate of motor insurance has been returned to the insurer. This is a legal requirement.

    The good news is: In the absence of a certificate the insured is permitted by law to make a statutory declaration to the effect that it has been lost or destroyed. In practice many insurers settle for the completion of a “lost certifcate declaration”.

    So, what you need to do is ask the insurer to send you a lost certificate declaration form and then they should cancel the policy.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.