What’s the difference between non-owner’s car insurance, and a car that’s fully covered?

July 24, 2017 · Posted in FAQ 
car insurance
maricella87 asked:

My boyfriend has a car that is in his name, and he is fully insured through the car. But, I need to drive it every once in a while and I don’t want to be screwed if I get in an accident. Will his insurance cover me while I drive his car, if he gives me permission to, or do I need to get non-owner’s insurance to cover my ass? If so, what is the best company I can go to, or is non-owner’s car insurance called something else?

Car Insurance Search


3 Responses to “What’s the difference between non-owner’s car insurance, and a car that’s fully covered?”

  1. mbrcatz17 on September 16th, 2009 2:34 pm

    He should list you on his policy.

    A named nonowner policy doesn’t cover any car owned by anyone in your household, or any car you use regularly.

    And you’ll have a really, really hard time finding an agent willing to write it. As far as companies go, they don’t like to write it, either, so you’ll end up with your state assigned risk pool.

  2. Click on September 16th, 2009 10:56 pm

    I have found the source box to be a good resource for this type of insurance. There are a variety of ways to go about this so I suggest you research some of the companies for their offers.

  3. OneManWrites on September 19th, 2009 6:04 am

    The policy on the vehicle covers your temporary, incidental use of the vehicle. This means you are covered if you are in an accident in that vehicle so long as your use of the vehicle is temporary and incidental – i.e. you borrowed the vehicle.

    If you use the vehicle regularly and/or if you live in the same household as your boyfriend, you should be named as a driver on his policy.

    A non-owner’s policy is written for people who do not own their own vehicle but want to have their own coverage for times when they may borrow or rent a vehicle. If you don’t have your own policy and you borrow someone’s vehicle you will be dependent upon them having insurance coverage in force should an accident occur. If, for example, the owner of the vehicle failed to pay their insurance bill and the policy was canceled, you would be left with no coverage.

    If you rent a vehicle, the renting company will require that you have insurance. If you do not, you will have to buy their insurance which is far more expensive than getting your own policy. Even with a non-owner’s policy, you will have to buy the renting company’s “Collision Damage Waiver” for coverage for their car. (Your non-owner’s policy would only cover you for liability.) Depending on your state, you may be able to get an endorsement to your policy which specifically covers rented vehicles (form NC 0330 in North Carolina).

    Any insurance company can offer non-owner’s policies. Talk to an agent in your state to find out what’s available.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.