When your car damages your house, what is the protocol for insurance coverage?

April 30, 2017 · Posted in FAQ 
car insurance
Southwest_Texas_girl asked:

The accelerator stuck on my car as I was pulling into my driveway and I ran into my garage. I damaged both my car and my house. My insurance is telling me that the car is covered by my car insurance and the house is covered by my homeowner’s policy (both car and homeowner’s insurance is with the same company) so I have to pay two separate deductibles. Does this sound right?

Car Insurance Search


7 Responses to “When your car damages your house, what is the protocol for insurance coverage?”

  1. Buzz Killington on April 24th, 2009 7:39 am

    That’s not right. The house should be covered by your liability of the auto insurance (up to what’s set on your policy), while your collision of your auto insurance pays for the damages to your car (assuming you have it, and paying the deductible set by your insurance company).

  2. Pilgrim on April 27th, 2009 5:04 am

    Yes, that is right.

    You can’t be liable to yourself, so your auto liability coverage cannot be brought to bear on the occurrence.

    Your homeowner’s insurance only pays for those structures attached to your home, so it won’t pay for the car.

    This is why it’s good to have separate trusts, like rich people have. If your car is in one trust, and your home in another, the liability from auto CAN be brought to bear against the home because (technically) it’s owned by a separate entity even though you might be the Steward on both trusts.

    I only have one trust, and have all my cars/trucks/motorcycles registered to it.

  3. calipink22 on April 29th, 2009 12:05 am

    It is completely correct. Your car insurance will not cover damages done by you to your own property. So your car will not cover your house, or vise versa. You pay your collision deductible to repair your car and you pay your deductible on your homeowners policy to repair your house. Your agent is 100% correct.

  4. sydkan on April 30th, 2009 3:10 pm

    Buzz is completely wrong. Your liability covers damages for which you are liable. You cannot be liable to yourself.

    Both car and home would be subject to each deductible.

    P.S. If you were renting the home then yes, your car insurance would take care of it all as you were liable to someone else.

    good luck!!!

  5. MARGARE T on April 30th, 2009 5:28 pm

    for the situation like yours,I would like to suggest you have a look here

  6. Savannah B on May 2nd, 2009 8:59 am

    No, that it incorrect. Since your automobile caused the damage to both your auto and home, you will be covered under your auto policy. The home will be covered under your Property Damage Coverage and your auto will be covered under your collision coverage which will require a deductible.

  7. Hassan R on May 4th, 2009 12:27 am

    Southwest_Texas_girl, Try getting an online insurance quote It’s free and quick to do.

    Good Luck!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.