Who will sell motor insurance to a non US citizen buying a car in the US?

November 25, 2017 · Posted in FAQ 
motor insurance
jimpuck asked:

I want to buy a car in the US and travel across the country for 2 months but am having trouble finding a company that will insure me. Does anyone know of a way I can get insurance to legally drive a car in the US?

Car Insurance Search


No Responses to “Who will sell motor insurance to a non US citizen buying a car in the US?”

  1. Cindy D on May 16th, 2010 12:50 pm

    Have you considered renting a vehicle from car rental place like Avis? They will have insurance, etc. you need. (And you’d be surprised at how little it will cost you, maybe around 2 or 3 thousand dollars, with unlimited miles… I had a rental for 12 days paid 500 and put almost 10,000 miles on it)
    What country are you coming here from, that could make a difference and you could have to get an international drivers license to drive here legally.
    If you are here from Canada, just buy and insure the car in Canada and if you go to a good insurance company you are also aready insured in the US.
    You should be able to get insurance if you have a visa to be here for that time, you will just have to pay high premium, bring letters from your home country insurance carrier saying that you have been driving for a long period of time with no accidents, and it will help, also bring your drivers abstract from your company.

  2. bostonianinmo on May 18th, 2010 3:06 am

    Check with a travel agent in your home country. There are many inusrance companies that will sell you insurance, though you may have to arrange the purchase before you arrive here.

    There are no laws restricting the sale of insurance to only US citizens or residents. If you are in the country legally you can legally buy insurance.

    You might NOT be able to get a “short-term” policy however. Insurance is sold in six-month policies in most states. A few states require one-year policies. You’ll have to buy a full-term policy and then cancel it when you sell or ship the car and leave the country. You’ll get a refund of the unearned premium when you do this.

  3. abel g on May 19th, 2010 10:10 am

    If you live in California go to Cost U less Insurance Center based out of Sacramento and they will put you with a company that will allow you to use international experience and you’ll get insured within 30 minutes.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.